Sunday, February 20, 2011

I LOVE Muffins


I love love love muffins. Problem is, I'm no good at actually making them. However, over the past few months, I've managed to combine two recipes that make some pretty darn good 'uns. It's a basic recipe that you can make and then use add-ins to your own taste. I almost always have craisins and pecans on hand so those are the ones I usually make. Try it next weekend and let me know how they turn out...


The trick to these muffins is to use buttermilk and to soak the oats in it ahead of time. Add the egg, sugar and melted butter.


Sift the dry ingredients together then add them to the wet ingredients.


Any time I use nuts in baking, I toast them first.


Gently fold in your "add-ins"


Best Ever Muffins

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup oats

Allow oats to soak in buttermilk for 30-60 mins.

1 egg, room temp
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 stick melted butter
1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Add egg, sugar and melted butter to oatmeal mixture. Sift together dry ingredients and then add to the rest until moistened. Fold in your add-ins and bake 375 for 10-12 min.

Makes 12 muffins.

Add-ins:
  • 1 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup semi sweet choc chips
  • 3/4 cup apples, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup white choc chips, 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup toasted coconut, 3/4 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 cup diced rhubarb, 1/2 tsp cardamom
  • 3/4 cup dates, 1/2 cup pistachios
  • 3/4 cup golden raisins, 3/4 cup shredded carrots


4 comments:

  1. You have come along way from making the muffins for the family from Martha White mixes with imitation blueberry bits.

    Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. made these for all the men at my house. i added cranberries and coconut. they loved them. thanks for sharing your recipes. i love that they come high-altitude and anna-recommended.

    ReplyDelete