Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yummiest Easiest Ever!

I'm putting together my grocery list and menu for this week again. I hate doing this. And I was thinking that I wish I had your staple meals so that I would know what to try this week. Then I got to thinking and wondering what our "staples" are. I'm not sure we have too many, but this is one. But it's dessert, so it doesn't count.

 Does it?

I made a double recipe of this yesterday so that I could take some to a meeting at my church and have some for Landon (and I) at home. I received this recipe from a friend a few years back. She said it was the easiest, yummiest dessert ever and had brought a copy of the recipe to every one of us gals at the Bible study.

She was right. I love this stuff.

It is very easy: ALL ingredients go into the bowl at the same time and can be mixed with a spatula. I love that - i hate accumulating tons of dishes after using spatulas, measuring spoons, a bowl for dry ingredients, a bowl for wet ingredients, and then the mixing thingies and baking pan and everything. yummy desserts really shouldn't be that messy and high-maintenance. 

And all of the ingredients you should have in your house. I just had to buzz to the store and get an orange. One orange is all you need - unless you follow ALL of the directions... And I use vanilla yogurt sometimes instead of plain and it's just as good.

okay, i'll just get along with the recipe so you can get closer to enjoying it!

Orange-Yogurt Cake
Martha Stewart Living, December 2006 (who else?)
printable recipe here
(photo by butter and sugar - i swear it looks exactly like this!)

Stuff:
  • unsalted butter, softened for pan
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted 
  • 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt 
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 tablespoon orange juice 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  • 2 large oranges (1zested into thin strips, both segmented) -( i have no idea what this means and never do it :))


Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Stir four, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, salt, yogurt, oil, orange zest and juice, egg and vanilla in a bowl. Pour into pan. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes, Let cook on a wire rack.
2. Place zest strips in a bowl. Stir in segments and remaining tablespoon sugar. Garnish cake with some segments; serve with the rest. Dust with confectioners' sugar.

I'm not sure the high altitude allowances, Anna. I think that adding another tablespoon or two of flour wouldn't hurt (mine has come out sticky ever since we moved here), and it usually takes this cake at least 30 minutes to bake here at 4300ft.

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I needed an idea for tomorrow night's tea! I will try this recipe I think! Thanks Hannah, as always!

    ReplyDelete